Wednesday, February 5, 2014

“Don’t know much biology, don’t know much trigonometry…”

The other night while lapping at the Church of the Swimming Pool, trying to swim out of despair into hope, the lyrics of this classic old, good listenin’ song came back to me—a blast from the past by lyricist Sam Cooke.*

Tragically, the singer’s life turned down into the stygian darkness and ended at the early age of 33, in a similar way that the Christian religion is again diving into the abyss theologically. When current Evangelical leaders and denominations (is that demon-ations?) claim that infants at conception are “in essence, evil” and “devil worshipers,” and that there is no hope for billions of us humans who were foreordained to eternal damnation, etc…

And when Christian leaders claim that if you disagree with their theological determinism, it’s because you are a heretic and a sinner, and ever so ignorant…

In the midst of battling against such an ocean of darkness and despair,
my heart
cries out,
to ABBA, Father,

Don't know much about theology
Don't know much about a creedal book
Don't know much about the Greek I took

But I do know that I love you (Yes, God so Good!)
And I know that if others love God, too
What a wonderful world this would be...


In the Light,

Daniel Wilcox



*"Wonderful World"

Don't know much about history
Don't know much about biology
Don't know much about a science book
Don't know much about the French I took

But I do know that I love you
And I know that if you love me too
What a wonderful world this would be

Don't know much about geography
Don't know much trigonometry
Don't know much about algebra
Don't know what a slide rule is for
But I do know, one and one is two
And if this one could be with you
What a wonderful world this would be…

Sam Cooke

2 comments:

Katya said...

Hi, Daniel,
Are these the same "leaders" that are being investigated now for child molestation in Vatican? Consider the source...
I like that song too!
Have a good week,
Katya. :)

Daniel Wilcox said...

Hi Katya,

Actually, the leaders I'm referring to are Reformed. Within the Reformed movement, there is also a denomination being investigated for child abuse. Allegedly, part of the child abuse happened because of their theology that children are "essentially evil" and "devil worshipers" so must be severely "disciplined" and must bear part of the blame when they are molested! Sick sick sick.

Religion causes so much evil.

Thanks for stopping by:-)

Daniel