Monday, August 24, 2015

Bring Hope to One Child at a Time


Have you ever considered sponsoring a child in an impoverished area of the globe? But not got around to it yet.
Reminds me of a joke card I once got which had a plastic circular coin with the words
"A Round TOIT.:-) Now you've got one, Daniel."




Yes, I, too, often put off the truly important to take care of the major, minor, and even the trivial. Why do we humans do that?
I guess it is one of those irrational quirks that psychologists say we humans often display.

Anyway, now that you have your own "round TOIT" (just cut it out of the screen;-), consider finding at least one child
of the millions suffering in poverty.
Choose a worthy, financially accountable aid organization such as World Vision.
My wife and I've sponsored children since the 1970's in countries
as diverse as Palestine, Indonesia, and India.


One small 5-year-old girl we sponsored back in 1995 had almost no choice, and no future.
Only a harsh existence, living in deep poverty. And she was often without her mother and father most of the time.
But with a small amount of donation monthly, she was able go get good food, schooling, improvements of their community,
and so much more.

NOW 20 years later, that girl has grown up and recently finished nurse's college
and has many career opportunities--the world at her door!
What a difference!

“…poverty doesn't come from a series of choices, but rather a lack of choices.
Meet these two brave mothers who find themselves in difficult times … and make your own choice.”
World Vision, Nate Pyle

http://www.worldvision.org/

"It's not a handout,
It's a hand up!

We come alongside children, families,
and communities to provide tools, training, and hope
so they can become
self-sufficient."







In the Light,

Daniel Wilcox

4 comments:

Katya said...

I am so glad to find out that your sponsorship improved a girl's life.

Personally, I never wanted to sponsor a child in an impoverished country, believing that my own children need all the help they can get from me. However, it is pleasant to know someone else I have a pleasure of knowing is doing it.
Thank you,
Katya

Daniel Wilcox said...

Yes, it' so important to first meet the needs and joys of our children.

Some famous aid leaders actually neglected their own kids because they spent all of their time helping other parents' children.

Yewtree said...

Hi there Daniel

I have only just seen your comment on my post, "A prayer for the Environment", so apologies for not responding sooner!

When I say "all is sacred" I don't mean things like cancer or war.

You might like to read these posts that I have written at Patheos:

A Beginner's Guide to Paganism

Stephen Fry, burrowing insects, and lions and tigers and bears - a discussion of the nasty bits of nature.

Daniel Wilcox said...

Hello Yewtree,

Thanks for the comment and clarification.

Yes, I'll read some more of your posts.