Wednesday, August 19, 2015

True Confessions

Sometimes the negative genie just won't stay in one's psyche, but finally explodes out in fury.

That happened to me today--for many different reasons--while I was trying to finish up a good article on science versus religion. (That post will go partially incomplete for a while.)

This afternoon, I read another excellent and honest article on life and loss of faith.


Here's what I posted to Neil Carter's website in answer to his questions on loss of faith:

Neil Carter: "What did you once have that you lost upon leaving your faith?"

Daniel: All of the items you pointed out except not "belief that everything happens for a reason." I was strongly opposed to that idea.
When a young child dies of leukemia like happened here recently or the tsunami killed hundreds of thousands of people in Indonesia several years back, I never thought that such tragedies were part of a divine plan, never thought they were somehow necessary.

The main quality I lost 3 years ago when I came to the conclusion that Christianity can't be true, is the loss of hope. True, I had been losing hope as I gradually lost faith in religion over a period of years, but 3 years ago, it was like the nail in the coffin, right into the bleeding heart liberal...

Now, I continue to work for human rights, for justice and equality, and won't quit, but I really wonder if humans will ever overcome war, inequality, hate, prejudice, dishonesty, religious delusion, horrific beliefs, etc. One of my favorite aphorisms was from Martin Luther King Jr.:

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice."


Now, at present, I wonder if that is really true. I don't have as much hope in such thoughts as I once did.
--


Neil Carter: "And more importantly for moving forward, how have you learned to cope with the loss of it?"

Daniel: I don't think I have learned to cope. Some days are better than others. Some much worse.

Talking about such issues online has helped. And continuing to work for groups I am a member of such as Amnesty International also helps encourage me.

So far I've been unable to find a group in my city on the central coast of California that has a passion for human rights and justice, but I am still looking. Our city tends to be very fundamentalistic in religion and politics.

And I belong to a book club where another individual, like me once was involved with SDS in the late 60's and still is concerned with justice and equality for all. That's important.

--

For those who would like to think further on this issue, consider reading Neil Carter’s vivid article at
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/godlessindixie/2015/08/19/things-you-dont-get-back-after-you-leave-your-faith/

I disagree with some points that Neil espouses—such as his view of “Godless,”—but he is a real humanist, compassionate, reasonable, and is an excellent essayist, lucid and well-organized in his prose.

In the Light,

Daniel Wilcox

No comments: