Sunday, March 3, 2013

Part 2: Be Calm, Be Called, Be Come


Before we were so rudely uninterrupted by everything happening in existence, two weeks ago we (meaning 'i' and everyone else involved in responding to the Spirit of God) were trying to articulate important theological/philosophical concepts and bring them down into practical daily living.

We were discussing the difference between classical theism which tends to emphasize God's immutability versus many of Scripture's stories and some of modern theology's alternate emphasis on God's continuing relational love with us and the rest of Creation (all that is in process).

In other words, how in the world ought we to change if we are followers of Jesus and Jesus' Father, God?

Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” John 20: 17, ESV

And in Exodus 3:14, God is called by the "Be" verb though the exact literal translation into English has varied in construction:
Ehyeh asher ehyeh literally translates as "I Will Be What I Will Be."

become (v.)
Old English becuman "happen, come about," also "meet with, arrive," from Proto-Germanic *bikweman "become" (cf. Dutch bekomen, Old High German biqueman "obtain," German bekommen, Gothic biquiman). A compound of be- and come; it drove out Old English weorðan. Meaning "to look well" is early 14c., from earlier sense of "to agree with, be fitting" (early 13c.).
Online Etymology Dictionary

So...

No comments: