Friday, March 13, 2015

The Wonderment of the Moment

Are you goal oriented? Focused on your plans and dreams?

Seeking to become all that you can be? Hoping for a better tomorrow?

Given to what ought to be?

I sure am, and have been all of my life,
especially in my 30’s and 40’s…But once and a while I step back,
and remember to experience the wonderment of this present moment.

As I wrote once in these lines of presence:


Marathon gunner in the fast lane
Hastening faster and faster,
You that break the home barrier but
Hang in the void of the morning's dash


Held back by the hog of the rush,
Fidgeting the taillights'
Gating hurry to the sixth power
While your family's lives asteroid by;

Slow up by the lush garden side
And smell the satined moments;

Pleasing is the scented bask
In the warm temporariness
Of fleeting ephemeral's harvest;

Shelter under Life's tree,
Tasting the clustered presence
And the fruitage of your offspring.

Lay down the bulging semi of yet to be driven
That Sisyphean hauling up never's pass,





Up the mountain of perpetual regress
And stroll in the rainbowed 'midst'
Of the infinite trees of brief

Up the lightly leaved path
Welled in the soft shading of Now,
Oh needful son.



First published in La Fenetre International
Literary Magazine


In the Light,

Daniel Wilcox

2 comments:

Hystery said...

I think I was once strongly goal oriented but it is difficult to remember that- like recalling a different life. Life, and especially motherhood, dulled that sharp edge for me. It is difficult to tell when my lack of motivation is a kind of zen and when it is just fear of failure and comfortable apathy. Maybe both together. Sometimes you just bump along through life trying to be kind. That seems like enough for now.

Daniel Wilcox said...

I like your phrase. Though I, probably, would change it to "leaping" (like a lame kangaroo or rabbit:-) through the dredges and tragedies of "life trying to be kind."

Like a phrase yesterday on our trip to Arizona that comes to mind: "Most people don't have the best of everything. But we can choose to make the best of everything."