Tuesday, July 13, 2021

I Was a Nonviolent S.D.S. Radical: A Beginning Memoir of My Life in the 1960's

Late in 1964, I experienced a spiritual transformation, went from being a gung-ho rightwing individual (like my parents and work boss) who supported the bombing of Vietnam to realizing that such a war stance is contrary to the Way of Jesus as presented in the Sermon on the Mount, etc.

So, instead of joining the Navy Reserves after high school and going to Vietnam to kill communists for Christ, I chose a third way. At the time all of my relatives, friends, everyone I knew in Nebraska supported the war.

But there was a former missionary and a Mennonite family who also opposed war. Thus, I became a conscientious objector.

I applied for that status with my draft board. Even after those 2 witnesses vouched that I was opposed to war including the Vietnam War, our Draft Board in Lincoln, Nebraska still interviewed me, grilled me personally on various specific violent situations, such as what if your family is attacked by killers, etc.

Finally, they gave me the I.O. status, which meant that when drafted, I would be performing nonviolent alternative service, working with poor people in Latin America or with mental patients, etc. instead of killing.

A couple of years later, when I was drafted and taking my physical with many other young men, the friendly Black medical sergeant who was testing me, after seeing my conscientious objector status, started calling me “Brother Love.”

Then in the summer of 1965, after my graduation from Lincoln Southeast High School, a week later, I started attending the University of Nebraska. With in a few weeks, I became involved with the student protestors, those opposed to the War and opposed to segregation and racism.

The first protest I attended was for the latter. It was one against Apartheid in South Africa.

With in a few weeks, I also joined a new social action-civil rights-anti-war organization called Students for a Democratic Society.

Of course, this was long before when S.D.S. turned to hate and violence, arson, attacks on police, etc. like it did with its splinter group, the WeatherUnderground and its bombings, arson, and violence at various universities including Kent State University in 1970.

To make a long complex story brief, by the spring of 1967, I was living as a spiritual hippie in Haight-Ashbury in San Francisco, but got drafted that summer. BELOW is a picture of me in the spring of 1967.

I was sent to serve my service time at a mental hospital for emotionally disturbed children and teens in Trevose, Pennsyvania, got evicted from my apartment for an anti-war sign on the back of my Greenbriar van, “the Mystical Hippopotamus”:-), etc.

As the nonviolent protests of the 60’s turned to hate and violence, even arson, bombings, and killings, I despaired. Where had the wondrous nonviolent altrusim of Martin Luther King, John Lewis and others gone?

I very strongly rejected the new hatred and violence of the extremists. IInstead, I emphasized more and more the Quaker and MLK way of reconciliation.

Standing in silent Quaker-like vigils against the War, we tried in many conversations to reason with others (both violent and nonviolent), including a soldier who had just come back from Vietnam, where he had been seriously injured in his left leg.

That whole tragic absurd period of history was “the Best of Times, the Worst of Times.”

Still radical after all these years*

Dan Wilcox

*an obvious paraphrase of a famous Paul Simon song title:-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is a very fun read.... what a variety of interests! plus good humor : ) I hope you'll someday unpack the first eight words here: "....I experienced a spiritual transformation." Thank you for sharing the thoughts!!
Elizabet

Daniel Wilcox said...

Thanks for visiting another article. I have started a memoir of those early years, however none of my extended family, etc. were interested in reading any of it, so am focusing on living here and now:-)
You might be interested in one poem I wrote about one spiritual transformation I had back in my young adult time:
Perception in Late Night

I work the graveyard shift in ‘67
Stock shelves of Marlboro ‘Country’
For California slickers, tubes of
Ultra Brite ‘sex appeal’
Brushed by grim oldsters,
And Olympia, ‘it’s the water’
For partying young adults;

I close the flashy cooler,
Pick up the empty card boxes,
Crumple and dump them in the trash bin;
Across the street a Texaco filling station
Slogans forth still, “Trust you car to the man
Who wears the star,’ but its ‘vacant for lease’ sign
Came from the only auto to ford
Those shallow words.

I lean on a metal stool behind
The counter, no customers; its past
The midnight hour; so I
Close my tired eyes,
Rub my warm forehead,
The feel of bone so arched like a vault,
My skull under skin
Almost Neanderthal,

And my sense of self in that inner cave
Of stored ads, memories and procedures;
What will be left in the finite end?

Suddenly like a lighted tidal wave
Overwhelming self and night,
Wide a w a r e n e s s
Oceans deep—
Vivid reception-awash

in-G-immersed-O-in-D


Daniel

First in Word Catalyst Magazine

Anonymous said...



Great poem. Thanks so much!!! Striking images.... especially the inner cave....

I've never had a "one with everything" experience... they've always sounded wonderful. Thank you for the vicarious experience : )

I hope someday the opportunity will open up to include these in your memoirs.... who knows what great-great grandkid will be thinking? : )

Thanks again for the evocative writing

.........

I was heading over to say this --

Just read this from PRRI researcher Robert Jones' book "White Too Long" ....reminded me of you & your concerns. Discussing times of great cultural shift, like our current U.S. transition from majority white to majority non-white, he said:

"In his 'Prison Notebooks,' early twentieth-century political theorist Antonio Gramsci expressed this sentiment from his cell in a Fascist prison in Italy: 'The crisis consists precisely in the fact that the old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum, a great variety of morbid symptoms appear.' In a recent essay, Slavoj Žižek, a contemporary philosopher and cultural critic, powerfully paraphrased the last part of Gramsci’s quote in a way that captures the anxiety and fears—and real dangers—that these moments produce: 'Now is the time for monsters.' ”

We have surely experienced that. Since January 20, I've been feeling like we can breathe, but it's like living with a monster in the basement.

Daunting amount of work to do!!!

Thanks again
Elizabet

Daniel Wilcox said...

Elizabet, Just saw your comments now! 2 months late. I've had very ill health and so haven't been on my blog, not even to check for comments. Sad.

Thank you for the positive points about my poem and transcendent experience. And for the PRRI information.

Hope you are doing well. Are you going to come back up on Rational Doubt, after it finally started up again 3 days ago?

Dan